At McCool Law PLLC, we regularly represent companies, officers, directors, executives and other individuals in criminal prosecutions, grand jury investigations, and internal investigations. We have extensive experience in handling cases relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, ITAR, export controls, the Clean Water Act, bank fraud, money laundering, securities fraud, government contracting fraud, mortgage and other accounting fraud.
Our Professional Reputation & Credentials
Steven McCool is named in Chambers & Partners as a nationally recognized litigator. He aggressively defends individuals in trials and in government and internal investigations across the country. Mr. McCool has decades of experience in responding to search warrants and grand jury subpoenas, and in preparing clients for interviews and grand jury testimony.
Julia Coleman has been recognized by Super Lawyers® as a rising star in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Ms. Coleman has also been recognized as “One to Watch” by Best Lawyers in America® by U.S. News & World Report in 2021 and 2022.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a Chief Executive Officer for a publicly-traded company and reported findings to the Audit Committee
- Lead counsel for a former telephone company executive charged with defrauding the Federal Lifeline telephone program out of more than $32 million. On the eve of what was expected to be an eight-week trial, the U.S. Department of Justice dismissed all charges against Mr. McCool's client.
- Lead counsel for a former executive charged alongside 21 other individuals in the first large-scale, FCPA-related FBI sting case. After an 18-week jury trial, in what was called the U.S. Department of Justice’s “Flagship FCPA prosecution,” the presiding Federal judge granted the government’s motion to dismiss all charges after the jury deadlocked in overwhelming favor for acquittal of Mr. McCool’s client.
- Lead counsel for a vice president of a national transportation consulting firm, who was charged with giving an illegal gratuity to a public official and prosecuted by the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Following a week-long trial, the jury returned a not guilty verdict.
- Represented numerous high-ranking government officials in investigations conducted by Inspector Generals across the country, including lead counsel for a high-level official of a non-profit corporation relating to an Inspector General investigation
- Lead counsel for emissions engineer in a U.S. Department of Justice investigation of allegations that multinational automotive manufacturer implemented software to defeat U.S. emissions tests in hundreds of thousands of the manufacturer's “clean diesel” vehicles
- Lead counsel for officer and executive of a national healthcare provider at depositions pursuant to civil investigative demands issued by the U.S. Department of Justice in a multi-state False Claims Act investigation
- Lead counsel for a government contracting firm executive charged in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia with conspiring to commit major fraud against the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- Lead counsel for an executive of a multi-national freight forwarding company investigated for price-fixing by the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- Lead counsel for the President/COO of a business-to-business Internet startup company in parallel proceedings before the SEC and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in securities fraud prosecution.
- Lead counsel for employees of a military ammunitions dealer investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland for potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and ITAR